"" wondermomo: CAMILLA SKOVGAARD (Denmark/London) Wedge Boots

Sunday, December 19, 2010

CAMILLA SKOVGAARD (Denmark/London) Wedge Boots

These highly coveted Camilla Skovgaard shoes feel like they came out of nowhere -- simply because just a year ago, practically nobody had any idea who on earth Camilla Skovgaard was.
Following couture studies in Paris, the then 20-year-old Denmark-born Skovgaard was hired to work in Dubai by a French-owned fashion house. After seven years of designing for the Gulf state’s fabulous high-society women, Skovgaard moved to London to study at Cordwainers College (the world’s leading footwear design school, whose famous alums include, among others, Dato’ Jimmy Choo OBE and Beatrix Ong), where she learned and perfected her craft.
Today, aged 37, the freakingly-talented designer is the talk of the fashion world -- thanks to her shoes that hit high on the radar of every stylist/editor/star.
With just enough edge and bravado, Camilla Skovgaard’s suede wedge booties with round toe feature the designer’s signature vertiginous heels with widged “sawtooth” soles - said to be very comfortable to wear.
(RRP US$590)

More semi-fast facts about Camilla Skovgaard:-

• (On how she got the job of designing clothing for the Sheikh’s wives and daughters in Dubai)
“It was very strange. I was 20 and just back home in Denmark from a tailoring course in London. My mom had the paper out because she was looking for a job for my brother and there was an advertisement in the newspaper to come to Dubai to design. No one had heard of Dubai then -- it wasn’t the tourist destination it is now. You had to be 25 but I typed out my letter anyway (there weren’t computers everywhere then) and said ‘I’m a student would you consider taking me down for training?’ They called me in and I clicked with the women right away. They flew me down and I got along very well with the ladies and I was very quick at sketching and I think she was smart in taking someone so young because she could mould me. I was only meant to say for a year but I came straight in with the local women for their engagements and weddings and childbirths so it gave me a lot more of a personal angle into the country and I think that’s why I ended up staying seven years. ... That’s when I first started paying attention to shoes because these women spent huge amounts of money on handmade clothes and then the shoes were like an afterthought. The shoes were not very good. Oh no. They were all platforms because they want to be taller. And I like platforms but we’re talking bad platforms. They think that because everything is full length and their dresses go down to the floor no one will see, but when you’re sitting down and you walk on those wedding stages it’s terrible.”

• (On being nominated at both the 2009 and 2010 British Fashion Awards)
“I just came from a week in London, where I attended the British Fashion Awards. I was nominated for Accessory Designer of the Year; last year, I was also nominated, but in the emerging category. I didn't win, but I have more business than the winners, so it's not too bad.
Can we say LOL?! I
mean, how straightforward, and how transparent, hahahaha.
(The 2009 and 2010 BFA winners, by the way, were respectively: Holly Fulton and Nicholas Kirkwood.)


Camilla Skovgaard shoes play feet soulmate to stars and bloggers, including the pretty awesome Jacqueline Rose of Fashion Snag.

No comments: